It’s National Peanut Butter Day! And people, I love peanut butter. And cake. And bananas. And icing. And peanut butter. So it seemed only natural to put them all together in celebration of this very important holiday!!
Peanut Butter Layer Cake:
- 4 egg whites
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup shortening or butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1 tsp Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Extract
- 1-1/3 cups buttermilk
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes
- In the meantime, grease and flour two 8 or 9 inch square cake pans
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl, set aside
- In a large mixing bowl, beat shortening on medium to high for 30 seconds
- Add sugar and vanilla, beat until combined
- Add egg whites, beating well after each addition
- Alternatively add flour mixture and buttermilk, beating on low until combined
- Pour 1/2 the batter into one of the pans
- Add peanut butter to remaining batter, then pour into to the second pan
- Bake in a 350 degree oven, for 25-30 minutes, until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup mashed bananas
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Extract
- 3 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- Mix all ingredients, except for powdered sugar, in a medium bowl. Beat well.
- Gradually add powdered sugar to desired consistency.
Enjoy! Let us know if you try it, here or on our Facebook page! Anyone else bake anything special for National Peanut Butter Day?!