Here’s another recipe in which vanilla is featured as a savory flavor. I admit, I had my doubts. But this was delicious! It had a great spicy/sweet flavor, and marinating it made it really tender!
- 9 cups hot water
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Mexican vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup kosher salt
- 2 tbls cracked black peppercorns
- 6 (1-1/4-inch to 1-1/2-inch thick) center-cut loin pork chops
- In a large bowl, add the vanilla to the hot water, then dissolve the salt and sugar in the hot water.
- Add the black pepper.
- Cool to below 45 degrees F. in the refrigerator.
- Trim any excess external fat from the meat, and submerge the pork in the bowl. (Make sure the meat stays under the surface during curing.)
- Refrigerate the pork in the cure for 4 to 6 hours.
- Grill the pork on an outside grill or a grill pan (we used a grill pan, and it turned out great!)