I am not much of a salad person, but I really, really liked this salad. The sweetness of the strawberries, with the tartness of the salad, and the crunch of the walnuts just melded together perfectly to create a wonderful, fresh salad. I know what you’re thinking – vanilla? As a savory flavor? With mustard? And strawberries? But I assure you, it all comes together in a perfect salty/sweet flavor combination.
- 6 cups spring mix greens (we actually used 3 C. mixed greens, and 3 C. of romaine that we got from our local farmers market)
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
In a small bowl, combine:
- 2 Tbls. White wine vinegar
- 2 Tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 Tsp. Mexican vanilla extract
- 1 Tbls. minced chives or green onion
- 3 Tbls. extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
Toss them both in a bowl together until the salad is coated with the dressing.
What do you think? Let us know if you try it! I’m dying to know if anyone else likes the salty/sweet combination!